- Sometimes called a shell steak; a tender cut from the short loin.
- [Great Britain] Brown sugar.
- [French] a rich brown sauce comprised of espagnole sauce, which is further enriched with veal stock and wine and reduced to proper consistency. This is a very long procedure and requires constant skimming. A quick version of this involves reducing brown veal stock to which has been added mirepoix, tomato paste, wine, and brown roux. The latter recipe saves time, but never reaches the intensity of flavor as does the former method. Due to the quantity and length of time required to prepare it, it is not usually made in the home. However it is available for home gourmands.
- A small cup ("half cup") of black coffee, usually served after dinner.
- [Italian] "to the teeth." Not too soft; offering a slight resistance to the teeth.
- [Spanish] melted.
- [Spanish] breakfast.
- Spanish term meaning "to shred."
dehydrated or powdered: desiccated coconut.
- [Great Britain] Shredded coconut.