General Fillo Dough Handling Directions
Category : Hints, Tips and Tricks
- Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
- Cover fillo completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
- Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for more than one minute to avoid drying out.
- Microwave butter until melted. This will give you a lighter and flakier pastry.
- Brush each layer of fillo with melted butter, margarine or oil.
- To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first and then work into center.
- Be sure to brush the last layer of fillo with melted butter.
- Fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.
- Fillo may be rolled and refrozen to store when not in use.